Friday, June 8, 2012

What Has Happened?


Okay, I don’t want to actually hurt anyone. I don’t want to put out a contract on an ex-lover.  I don’t want to hire a thug to break the knees of a rival.  I don’t want to seek assistance from a withered hag to curse my former friend.  I don’t even want to assassinate the president. I just want to stop people from speaking in such a way that it appears they’ve been raised by larger primates.
              I teach high school English, and I realize that most people don’t speak perfectly.  I even make grammatical errors in my daily conversation.  I’m not unaware of the fact that my job puts me in a position to recognize other people’s speech deficiencies, but I try to be realistic and look for the meaning behind what people say.  No one is any more annoyed with people who verbally correct other people’s speech in public conversation than I.  I think it’s rude, and somewhat demeaning, and people can be embarrassed unnecessarily. 
              If you correct people like this, they start to avoid you, and you become a social pariah.
              That said, I want to scream when I hear phrases like, “I seen,” “My fiend house,” “Had went,” and “We conversate.”  These aren’t just verbal mistakes, but they are roughly the equivalent of baby talk.  This kind of verbal illiteracy crosses racial lines and weaves through all layers of socio-economic status.  I worry that common speech is descending into a morass of lazy thinking and lack of concern that the rest of intelligent humanity is laughing at us.
              Other languages have rules and people who speak that tongue look at you befuddled if you use incorrect tenses or even idiotic pronunciation, but English—being the most wide-spread language of  communication—often accommodates errors.  But accommodation can only go so far before we become the linguistic joke of the planet. If this was a problem only heard in sub-cultures or ethnic communities, it wouldn’t bother me any more than any accent, slang, creole or pidgin, but it isn’t. 
              This may be the harbinger to the end of civilization as we know it.
             

2 comments:

KJobe said...

Sometimes I worry about the English language. I'm no expert, but I feel the same way as you do about the current state of accepted speech. I long for society to bring language back to what it once was, filled with creative arrangements. I know there is evolution of language, but in a way, I wish there wasn't. Maybe I am too old fashioned, to the extent of placing an antiquated system of language over a modern development, but that's who I choose to be: old fashioned in many ways, while trying to endure, even embrace, modern life.

Jeffrey Goble said...

Reading the newspaper has become an angry exercise for me. It is one of the places that I expect intelligent editing to occur - if not for content, then at least for grammar and usage.
I believe that the loss of good grammar is the wagging tail of loss of propriety and grace - when everyone is your 'bitch', what difference does it make how you say it?
I am an admin on a gaming server that has a swear filter - point penalties for typing in the wrong words. I have taken it upon myself to instruct my fellow gamers to find new and creative ways to insult each other, many are quite capable, and in this small way I try to advance our culture in this very small way. We all have to do our part.
I would love to be a newspaper editor, but - of course - I don't think that career move would be a good one.